Pages

Friday, April 22, 2016

"I Am From" -by Daniel Curran (a poem about my ethnic heritage)

“I Am From”
by Daniel Curran

I am from the Huntington Hospital, a child of California Dreaming.
Born in the City of Roses,
at the foot the San Gabriel Mountains
facing west towards Santa Catalina Island and the setting sun.

I am from palm tree-lined streets and the oasis of South Pasadena East of LA
I am from a quiet neighborhood of Wonder Years homes
bought by fathers returned from fighting wars in Europe and the Pacific
passed on to them by grandfathers who fought in The Great War.

I am from public schools with packs of Cub Scouts and doting den-mothers.
I am from gangs of skater boys with absent workaholic fathers
            Lost boys with too much time on their hands
scratching the sidewalks with their skateboards
in search of vitamins for their souls.

I am from an ancient people of an island green and a Rhineland grey
I am from peoples who couldn’t bear their tyrants and famines
            Who sent their boys and girls away to survive
to thrive in a brave new world across the sea

I am from Irish men and German women
whose woodshops and farms in Middle-America could not hold them
I am from son’s and daughters who came West 100 years ago
to build The Golden State’s towns, and schools and hydroelectric dams

I am from “Philip” the Evangelist
who loved Books and befriended Ethiopians
who crossed cultures by climbing up into chariots
            to explain the Word of God

I am from “Daniel” the Prophet, conqured, captured, and exiled
of royal blood, of oppressed language
            of persecuted faith, of resolute spirit
who chose not to defile himself with Babylon
                        who chose to pray, serve and die for his God

I am from “Curran” –old Irish for spear
            a man enthralled by books, words, dreams and war
            a man wielding a Sword
that wages peace on earth

for the High King of Kings

No comments: